Sunday, October 26, 2014

Ghost Story #13

At 13, in the middle of the 8th grade. I was sent to live with my mother in DC.I’d been living with my grandparents, but had to move schools, so this was the ‘best’ option.The row-house was small for four, less than 12ft wide, but we managed well enough. I was already a night owl & stayed up listening to my step-dad’s albums over the headphones, watching dark comedy reruns or 1940's movies. Needle nose pliers on the stem of the broken knob & faded color on the tv. I’d sit in my step-dad’s chair, the only other seat being an uncomfortable Victorian sofa against the wall, usually we just sat on the floor. This being the beginning of my chronic lower back pain. From the rocking chair, one could see into the dining room in a small mirror, which also showed a fraction of the stairs.
The kitchen was visible in the reflection of glass covering an art poster. That light was always on.
You know when you feel someone staring at you from across the room, turn to look & meet their eyes? I felt that…& saw a dark spot on the mirror. But each time I would turn, it would vanish. 

This eve, I moved only my eyes to look. A small boy was peeking at me from inside the deep frame of the 10”x12” frame. He was like a deer in headlights a few seconds & then he dipped out of sight. 
This game continued for the next year, but I never saw him full on like that again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by...please feel free to leave a comment!